The helpline is available Monday to Friday, from 6-9PM EST free for all of our callers. We uphold the virtues of keeping all our calls anonymous and confidential in order to provide our callers their trust and provide them in an empathetic and comfortable environment. Our main focus is to listen and understand and provide them with any information they need so they are assured that they are not alone.
In a society, where young Muslims are being surrounded by negative portrayal of their religion and facing issues that they may not yet understand, Naseeha aims to use Islamic fundamentals as tools to find solutions. The lack of understanding their cultural issues from mainstream service providers are also a challenge and this is where we try to fit in.
Our counsellors are young Muslims who are between 21-30 years of age in order to provide peer to peer counselling. They are either born or raised in N. America and went to school experiencing the same systems as everyone else. They display an in-depth understanding of the issues facing Muslims youth, are exceptional involved in the Muslim and the wider North American communities, and excellent academic accomplishments. Their diversity facilitates Naseeha in serving North American Muslim youths of various backgrounds and experiences.
Naseeha has developed an extensive orientation process, as well as an on-going training program. During the orientation process, counsellors are provided with extensive instruction and support on phone and chat counselling, as well as counselling within an Islamic framework. At this time they receive further in-depth training on the issues facing Muslim youth in North America. This training has been developed in conjunction with other counselling professionals, health care workers, and social service organizations. Naseeha also provides educational development training for its counsellors. This on-going training focuses on specific issues, such as depression, suicide, family violence, etc. during each session.
Our promise to you…
1. To always be accessible and provide this service free to our callers. If you are calling from your mobile phone, there may be air-time fees.
2. Setting an anonymous and confidential surrounding is very important to us. We value the trust that our callers give to us and we do whatever it takes to keep that trust.
If there are suicidal thoughts involved, we must have 911 dispatched.
3. Our number will not be displayed on your phone bill
4. We do not record calls, request any of your personal contact information or share any matters expressed by our callers without their permission
5. We will never judge you. You don’t need to ever hesitate or feel restricted to really tell us what’s on your mind. We’ve all made mistakes and without them, learning to become better is almost impossible
6. We do not provide any Islamic rulings or answer to any fiqh related issues. There are plenty of other providers who do and suggest that you consult with your local Imam or mosque in your community
7. Our main principle is to guide our callers though their issues and understand using their experiences and information they they have been exposed to. Our callers are diverse and their experience are all different. They are the ones who hold they key to their answers. We just guide them using options and listen.
8. Although we do not tell you what to do, preach or impose any religious beliefs upon you, we do use the guidelines of the Qur’an and Sunnah of the Prophet (PBUH) as tools to help us understand and find solutions to the situation.